We are playing around with something a little different on the front squat for the strength cycle. We are doing a front box squat. Don’t get this confused with the power lifter box squat with a wide stance. This squat is done with your regular squat stance. Take a look at the scheduled days for the lifts and if you can’t make it on that day, be sure to make up the lift on another day. If the lift falls on a Sunday, it will be moved to a weekday.
- find a low box or stack plates to where you would be bottoming out in a squat but still have control.
- keep the core engaged in the whole movement.
- Lower down on a count of 2, pause for a count of 3, up on a count of 1.
- keep the load light to moderate as this is not a safe position to bail out of.
- no forward lean on the decent and accent.
- work on getting more depth before more load.
Here is a video showing the front box squat put together by Jeremy Jones the master programmer of Thrivestry.
Workout of the Day
Skill Practice Warm Up: 30s on 30s off of double under practice and jump rope drills, 5 rounds.
Strength: 5×3 Push Press – 13 of 14, same weight across, approximately 90-100% of max
Super Set: 5×4 Dumbbell Split Squat, “across,” scale to the same challenge
Metabolic Conditioning: “Sweet Devil Sour Angel”
7 minute AMRAP
Then max rounds with the remaining time
16 dumbbell hang power snatch
RX: 600m, 75/115lbs, 30/45lbs
Z3: 500m, 55/75 lbs, 25/35lbs
Z2: 400m, 35/45lbs, 20/30lbs
Z1: scale as needed
Scaling Guide: 3 – 5 rounds, about 2:10 for the row and then 1:15 for each round.
Scale Up: 85/135lb bar and 35/55 kb hang snatches
Optional ‘Cash Out’: 30 burpee pull ups