This is something I have done from time to time in my CrossFit Kids classes, and I figured I should start doing it via this blog, as well! I’m talking about promoting healthy eating for kids and families via sending my students home with nutritious, fun, kid-friendly recipes. Here is a fantastic example of a meal you can make for your child (or yourself!) that is both inventive and delicious!
This recipe comes from the CrossFit Journal kids recipe series by Shirley Brown and Alyssa Dazet:
Few kids like sushi. It’s raw and cold and fishy.
But if you substitute in food your kids love to eat, you’ll get sushi that won’t make them squirm!
Serves 2 (8 sushi pieces)
4 slices of turkey cold cuts
4 slices of ham cold cuts
1 cup julienned carrots
1 cup julienned cucumber
Serve with a side of mustard or guacamole for dipping! Get creative with your sushi. There are endless combinations for this dish. Fill your sushi with red bell peppers, jicama or avocado—and on and on and on!
1. Lay 2 pieces of ham on top of 2 pieces of turkey. Cut away the excess edges so they form a clean-cut rectangle. Then slice length-wise down the middle, so you are left with 2 longer “sushi paper wraps.”
2. Lay ¼ cup of carrots and ¼ cup of cucumber on each wrap.
3. Start at one end and roll the carrots and cucumber up in the lunch meat. Place the open-end side down to keep the roll closed or, if necessary, secure with a toothpick.
4. Repeat with the remainder of the meat and vegetables.
Last but not least, enjoy meal time! 🙂
Congrats to all of those that made it through the first week of Whole Life Challenge! The first challenge of the week was “Be that Guy”. We had a total of 19 out of 50 that completed the challenge. The draw prize has changed and it is more fitting to the week challenge. It is a $50 Gift Certificate to Cafe Bliss (http://www.cafebliss.ca/) – compliments of Joe Cunliffe. And the winner is…… Tara Bomhof!
Keep up the good work team!
Buy In -Front Squat 3-3-3-3-3 E3M
- Mobilize during class to help you get into the proper positioning – check out the chart or ask a coach for tips
- Increase weight each round if form is perfect!
- Create that torque and keep the tension throughout the whole squat
WOD – “Dip it Low”
AMRAP in 10 minutes:
50 M Run
Max Reps Ring Dips
Score = total ring dips
Zone 3 – scale to assisted ring dips
Zone 2 – scale to pushups
Zone 1 – scale as needed
Cash Out – 5 sets of 10 Toes to bar
Scale as needed – hanging leg raise or 5 x 5 reps